Contact the Detective Division to schedule a background check. Checks are scheduled Tuesday and Thursday, 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., by appointment only. They are for town residents only and are not done on Rhode Island State holidays. Disqualifying info can be found under RIGL 23-17-37, 11-37-8.1 and 11-37-8.3.
Background Check Information:
- Foster care or adoption - No fee
- Daycare or Preschool - $50 processing fee
- School employees (teachers, aides, bus drivers/monitors, custodians, cafeteria workers) - $50
- Probate Court - $50
- Need printed card for other reason - $6
- Bring own card from employer - No fee
- Marijuana caregiver, cultivator, or patient - $50
Nursing backgrounds should be completed through the Rhode Island Attorney General's Office located at 4 Howard Avenue, Cranston, RI, (401) 274-4400.
Bureau of Criminal Identification Check
A BCI check without fingerprints can be completed through the Rhode Island Attorney General's Office. You can contact them at (401) 274-4400 or at 4 Howard Avenue, Cranston, RI.