- Wastewater Management
Cesspools & Septic Systems
Forty percent of Rhode Islanders get their drinking water from groundwater or small local reservoirs. Outdated cesspools and failing septic systems are a major source of pollution to these water supplies. What you flush down the toilet directly affects the water you drink and the waters you fish, swim and boat in.
Find information on conventional septic systems (PDF).
North Kingstown Wastewater Management District Ordinance
North Kingstown’s Wastewater Management District Ordinance went into effect in 1999. It requires that property owners have their on-site wastewater treatment system inspected or pumped once every three years.
For information on inspections or pumpouts check out the following links:
Find answers to frequently asked questions regarding the North Kingstown Wastewater Management District Ordinance Info.
If you have received a post card in the mail regarding this ordinance, it’s just a reminder that you must provide a copy of your inspection report or pump out receipt to the Department of Water Supply.
Important Maintenance Responsibilities
If you have a septic tank or cesspool installed on your property, there are important periodic tasks to remember in order to maintain the system:
- Inspect your system every three years
- Pump and repair it as needed
- If you have a cesspool, plan to replace it
- Don’t flush your money! Find information on additives and your on-site wastewater treatment system (PDF)
Wastewater Management Plan
In order for the Town to be eligible to offer the Community Septic System Loan Program which makes low interest loans available to North Kingstown property owners for cesspool/septic system repairs or replacements, North Kingstown had to obtain Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management approval of a Wastewater Management Plan (Plan). This Plan describes how the Wastewater Management Ordinance will be implemented and is available here.
North Kingstown Community Septic System Loan Program
The Town of North Kingstown is pleased to announce that our Community Septic System Loan Program has been reestablished. This program makes low interest loans available to North Kingstown property owners for cesspool/septic system repairs or replacements.
Steps & Process
- Download the application for loans for septic repair and replacement (PDF)
Eligible loan amounts for the program range from $1,000 to $25,000. Loan terms are available for 3, 5, 7, or 10 years. All systems financed under this program must include an effluent filter and risers to grade.
Wastewater Management Districts
North Kingstown has been divided into four Wastewater Management Districts as shown on this map (PDF).
- Wastewater District 1: All properties served by a private well and Individual Sewage Disposal System (ISDS) or cesspool
- Wastewater District 2: All properties located in Zone 1 Groundwater Protection Areas and all properties located adjacent to poorly flushed coastal areas
- Wastewater District 3 :All properties located in Zone 2 Groundwater Protection Areas and properties located in densely settles coastal areas
- Wastewater District 4: All other properties in North Kingstown served by ISDS or cesspools
- To learn more, visit the National Small Flows Clearinghouse (NSFC) website.
- Download a listing of the Town’s 2023 Town Approved OWTS inspectors (PDF).