Past Meetings & Events
A steering committee composed of local residents, community leaders, public officials, and institutional and business representatives was appointed by the Town Council to guide the project. The steering committee convened at key points in the process:
• April 9, 2015 kick off
• June 10, 2015 - discuss interview themes and community participation plan
• July 15, 2015 - review initial research findings and preview public kick off
• September 17, 2015 - review full research and analysis to be discussed with functional groups
• October 14, 2015 - review functional group findings
• November 23, 2015 - review draft goals and brainstorm potential policies and actions
• February 10, 2016 - review draft goals, policies and actions
The agendas and minutes from these meetings can be viewed below.
There were also a series of neighborhood tours at the beginning of the planning process. The goal of the tours was to gain insight on the issues, opportunities, and constraints in each area so we can then identify possible solutions.
Neighborhood Tours took place on the following days:
- Tuesday, June 9th 5 p.m. - Tour of Post Road south of Camp Avenue
- Wednesday, June 10th 1 p.m. - Tour of intersection of Routes 2/102, including Wickford Junction,
- Stop-n-Shop / Home Depot area and Oatleys/Rolling Greens.
- Thursday, June 11th 5 p.m. - Tour of Wickford.
- Wednesday, July 15th 5 p.m. - Tour of Post Road North and Davisville area
Public Kick-off Meeting
A Public Kick-off Meeting (PDF) was also held on Thursday July 16th at 7 p.m. in the Beechwood House, 44 Beach Street.
View the Public Kick-off Presentation (PDF).
Public Meeting Number 2.
The town hosted a second public meeting on Thursday, October 15th at 7 p.m. in the Beechwood House, 44 Beach Street. The town’s consultant, Interface Studio LLC, presented a summary of the information that has been collected to date. This included a summary of the survey results as well as the identification of major issues that has been identified thus far in the process. They will begin the process of formulating a VISION for the future of North Kingstown.
Public Forum Number 3
The town held a third public forum on Thursday, February 11 at 7 p.m. in the Senior Center, Beechwood Center for Life Enrichment, 44 Beach Street. The town’s consultant, Interface Studio LLC, presented a set of draft recommendations for inclusion in the plan. They will also looked for input on priorities and implementation strategies that will be used to put the plan into action.
For those who were unable to attend the comprehensive plan public forum, view a PowerPoint.
Focus Group Meetings
Four stakeholder functional groups were formed by the own Council to discuss the following topic areas:
- Economic Development and Quonset Focus Group (PDF)
- Natural and Cultural Resources Focus Group (PDF)
- Land Use, Transportation and Housing Focus Group (PDF)
- Community Services and Facilities Focus Group (PDF)
Each functional group met twice: once in September to review the research and analysis findings and discuss key issues, and again in December to review the draft goals and brainstorm potential policies and actions.