About North Kingstown
An indispensable, comprehensive source of North Kingstown history is available through the North Kingstown Free Library.
To learn more about the Town of North Kingstown, please enjoy these resources:
HistWick's Living History Podcast Series with Jennifer Shaker, Host & Editor, aided by Cynthia Carpenter, Interview Coordinator, Steven Shaker, Audio Introduction, and Mike Donohue.
North Kingstown's Historic Places
The Villages of North Kingstown.
Casey Farm: A working farm on over 300 acres at the western edge of the Narragansett Bay, since 1702, producing organic produce for Community Supported Agriculture programs and host of community, agriculture and family educational events.
Gilbert Stuart Birthplace & Museum: Birthplace of George Washington’s foremost portraitist, featuring the Stuart Snuff Mill, a working gristmill, mill pond and fish ladder, colonial herb garden, and 23 acres of farm with nature trails.
Smith’s Castle: America’s oldest surviving plantation house, surrounded by walking trails, gardens and a gift shop.
The View From Swamptown: Weekly Column in The Independent by G. Tim Cranston, Official Town Historian.
Current Town Government:
History of North Kingstown, as written by Tim Cranston
About Tim Cranston, Town Historian, and founder of Swamptown Enterprises, the non-profit entity providing much of the historical content for the 350th Anniversary website. Tim has published several informative, enlightening non-fiction resources that can be shipped to your door after ordering online (please note, proceeds from these books do not fund 350th Anniversary events).
- We Were Here Too: Selected Stories of Black History in North Kingstown
- We Were Here Too, Volume II: Selected Stories of Women's History in North Kingstown
- Walking in Olde Wickford – This History of Old Wickford One House at a Time
- Walking in Olde Wickford – The History of Quality Hill & Talbot’s Corner One House at a Time
- Walking in Olde Wickford – The History of Elamsville & the Wickford Business District One Building at a Time
- Walking in Olde Wickford – The History of Hamilton Avenue & West Wickford
- The Swamptown Tales: The Day the Bay Froze
- North Kingstown: 1880 – 1920 (Images of America)